Followers

Monday, June 22, 2009

Red is my favorite color




Who's the early bird in my neighborhood? Before the sun is up, before the sounds of tires and the beams of lights speed down the road to join the bumper to bumper mass of worker bees, Max & I quietly pad through the Stepford community.

Leaving the beige houses and turning the corner on to the avenue, Max finds his spot. After dumping his mess in the trash can, we head up the road. The left side of the neighborhood opens up to a large field with the mountains looming in the background. All is quiet. I'm thrilled that I've finely managed to get out before the traffic.

Then I hear it. Only one chirping bird. At first I don't realize that it is doing a solo as so many birds sing as I pass this area that I don't pay attention. But then I realize that none of the birds are singing but this one. As I walk on he is still the only one singing. I recognize his chirps as he is such a colorful character that I always run to the window to check his palls out when ever they call in the neighborhood.


It is the Northern Cardinal. His bright red plumage certainly is something to sing about and I don't blame him for being so ecstatic in the morning. I wished I could wake up and look that great, dressed and ready to go.I love red the best. And if I had his voice I would wake the whole neighborhood too. Well that is if I was going to move away and didn't care if I made enemies with everyone on my block.

But his calls are beautiful and assorted. If you would like to hear what he sounds like you can go to this site http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/birdsong.php?id=3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Count Me In

Birds of a Feather

Birds of a Feather
It feels good to be free

Fourth of July in Waikiki

Fourth of July in Waikiki
Early morning view just kicking back

About Me

My photo
Do you want to know about Hawaii from a locals point of view? Where do we like to go? What things do we like to see. This blog is about seeing Hawaii without being trapped. This is a journal about Good eats, Hawaiian events, and looking at the islands through the eyes of someone who has lived here for more then forty years.

For Blog updates;

The Curmudgeon