Followers

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

That's not Funny

I dreamed nobody wanted me to talk to them. At least I thought it was a dream. Maybe I’m remembering times when I thought I was having an interesting conversation and then I ended up talking to myself. No, it had to have been a dream.

Lately the theme that runs through my dreams and my thoughts is, I’m not funny. I only talk about serious issues.

Like my feelings on the phrase or euphemism (because lets face it who in there right mind would use the real phrase?) “New Homes at Affordable Prices.” Affordable for Whom? Certainly not the poor and barely the middle class can afford one . Ah but there I go again. I am trying to be funny, light, look on the brighter side. I really scared my friend when I went off on that phrase. I thought I was making a point but she thought I was angry enough to kill. Thankfully she forgave me after I went on about not realizing I was frightening her. After all that kind of rage was everyday conversation while I was growing up.

I remember another time when I was at the movies. Years ago. You can tell by the name of the movie. “Serpico”. It was the scene where Serpico tries to help a young girl in the park who is about to get raped. I got so upset I told to the person I was with “they should cut their balls off.” It seemed a reasonable statement. Not to the guys in back of me. They got up and moved. Were they sympathizers?

I was sitting in Borders the other day and there was an elderly gentleman sitting perpendicular to me. We started talking. We were having a wonderful conversation. He was ex-military, lived all over the world including Alaska. Oh, I thought. I would really like to live in Alaska. I even wanted to ask him if he’d ever watched the beginning of the Iditarod? No. Instead I asked him about the town nears Sitka, or maybe it was Sitka, that was cut off from civilization by a tunnel and that you could only get in or out by a train that only came a few times a week or something like that. I went on to mention having read about a woman who had moved there so her abusive ex-husband could not follow her. I mentioned that I though it was quite a tight community because everyone knew she was hiding from him and they were all able to keep him out of their small area because of that tunnel.

The gentleman stated that he didn’t approve of abuse (I didn’t think he was the type.) and he started to get quiet. When I tried to make light of the conversation by saying I was attracted to that place because everyone knew each other and that I liked the isolation he became even quieter. After a few awkward words he gently said that he didn’t want to keep me from my reading and pointed to the stack of magazines I had on my lap. He then got up and walked away. Now what had I said?

So I had done it again. Why do I insist on taking about the woes of the world as if it was the only topic on everyone’s mind? Again, I’m not being funny, light or looking on the brighter side. I can’t possibly be going through life with that proverbial dark cloud over my head.

Ah! I know. I watched two and a half men tonight. I love it. I really laughed. And the kid who plays Charley’s nephew has such good timing. I wonder what his parents think of the subject matter that is portrayed in that series? For that matter is the kid being exposed to too much sex at such an early age? I mean they talk about some …Oh wait! I’m not on topic. Light, funny, ray’s of sun.

OK, let me see. Oh I get a kick out of New Christine- ah but the subject matter. Hum. My sense of humor is being over run by my sense of morals. Or is it the other way around?

Max is a funny dog. He looks like a catfish. Maybe that’s because he keeps stealing all of the cats food, or chases them till they turn on him and give him a swat. I love the way his ear is always flipped back, sort of like Dorothy LaMoor. But I can’t imagine him in a sarong.

Nope can’t think of any thing funny or maybe for me it’s more fun to be mad. And with a blog I can shout as loud as I want and only offend myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Count Me In

Birds of a Feather

Birds of a Feather
It feels good to be free

Fourth of July in Waikiki

Fourth of July in Waikiki
Early morning view just kicking back

About Me

My photo
Do you want to know about Hawaii from a locals point of view? Where do we like to go? What things do we like to see. This blog is about seeing Hawaii without being trapped. This is a journal about Good eats, Hawaiian events, and looking at the islands through the eyes of someone who has lived here for more then forty years.

For Blog updates;

The Curmudgeon